Sunday, May 21, 2006

Job Satisfaction

Umpteen people spolied their careers by job hopping and the the opposite also holds true,Many promising people stagnated just because they didnt make the right moves at right time.In this volatile and booming economy employee satisfaction and loyalty is a big myth.Desires rule the world.Mr.Buddha you are really out of fashion.I m no different.A twenty percent hike in the present salary is enough to trigger a thought in me, not that I will hop just like that but i will definitely give a thought about the offer.

I recently read an article written by 'God' Drucker titled 'Managing oneself'.He says most of the gifted people realises what they want to do in life in thier mid-twenties.And i m 25... :-)..I m posting an excerpt of that 10 page article...

"Throughout history, people had little need to manage their careers--they were born into their stations in life or, in the recent past, relied on their companies to chart their career paths. But times have drastically changed. Today we must all learn to manage ourselves. What does that mean? As Peter Drucker tells us in this seminal article first published in 1999, it means we have to learn to develop ourselves. We have to place ourselves where we can make the greatest contribution to our organizations and communities. And we have to stay mentally alert and engaged during a 50-year working life, which means knowing how and when to change the work we do. It may seem obvious that people achieve results by doing what they are good at and by working in ways that fit their abilities. But, Drucker says, very few people actually know--let alone take advantage of--their fundamental strengths. He challenges each of us to ask ourselves: What are my strengths? How do I perform? What are my values? Where do I belong? What should my contribution be? Don't try to change yourself, Drucker cautions. Instead, concentrate on improving the skills you have and accepting assignments that are tailored to your individual way of working. If you do that, you can transform yourself from an ordinary worker into an outstanding performer. Today's successful careers are not planned out in advance. They develop when people are prepared for opportunities because they have asked themselves those questions and rigorously assessed their unique characteristics. This article challenges readers to take responsibility for managing their futures, both in and out of the office. "

Did I realise what I want to do with my life ? A million dollar question.I have lot of questions but no solid answers...I only know onething.I want to make a positive difference to the world I live in.Never ever I dreamt of driving S-Class,nor did I dream of running a corporation.But at the night when I go the bed to sleep I want to pat my back for the good work I did during the day time.Yes buddies...The guilty consiousness pangs me..I definitely believe I belongs someother area of work. All management decisions are tradeoffs...there is not rigid right or wrong.Same is the case with life.There is nothing called Job satisfaction.It is just a tradeoff between materialistic desires and intellectual stimualation.Yes some lucky exceptional souls get both or perhaps the earn that.I salute them.

But I m sure sooner or later I will enter the arena where I belong to...But when is the question...Plan buddy plan...But When ur plans are spoiled what to do ?? Be optimistic there is always a tomorrow.Anyway there is no fun being pessimistic...Atleast being optimistic..will help you to shed your tears for someother purpose.

And Mr.Yechury and Sharad yadav....I wanted to write reply for the articles you published in Hindustan Times...in a span of 2-3 days.Really You people are 'politicians'.Why are you doing like this ? Do you really think reservations will make difference.I know your heart also beat for those protesting doctors.I know it is your brain speaking..for petty political gains...I beg please dont spoil mother India.. You championing the cause of pro-reservation is another thing,but the reason you both gave for supporting reservations is plain outrageous.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dew Drops said...

am i the first??

1:41 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

drucker's point is well taken (just as always). rather, he clearly and stromgly articulated what we all knew since v started having a dream job. the only pblm is with implementation...

1:45 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

@dew
u r the first one 2 comment after
I opened..my blog for comments..after suddhi kalasham..
and regarding implementation...
isnt a learning process...for me it is...

7:20 AM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

nice post buddy. me myself in a totally confused state when it comes to career. n yes, i don't work for Mc Kinsey :)

5:30 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

@anony

thanks...and me 2 in the same boat....may be things become pretty clear when I m 58

6:14 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

hey !

finaaly , the comments are opened ....

am tired of voicing my opiniions on reservation ... it aint making any impact !

btw , thanx for the jaipur trip pics ... they are great !

1:11 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

@deepa ohh thanks...
and appreciation 2 jaipur trip pics sud go to my friend...he snaped it...
:-).

1:26 AM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

okie ... pass on my appreciation !

good that the comments are opened :)

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home