Monday, July 10, 2006

The Ethical Paradox

Ethics is a paradox and almost everything has double standards.Let me go to the incident directly. My friend got a job in the reputed IT firm in India who are considered to be the epitome of corporate ethics.

He got the job by faking his resume.He had the skillset but he didnt get the right opening because companies wanted a person who had 'real time experience'.It doesnt matter if the person spent most of the time on bench and did some documentation in the previous company.

Eventually on the basis of fake experience certificate he joined the company.He slogged,conducted training for those who were much senior to him and eventually became right hand of his team lead.And he was selected for an onsite within 4-5 months of joining the company.
Here comes the twist of the story,the external agency that was assigned to conduct 'pre-employment verification' submitted its report. It categorically conveyed the fact that the experience certificate my friend produced was 100% fake. HR tigers came woke up.He was into the organisation for past 5 months and as HR got a negative feedback on 'pre-employment verification', they had to sacked him... Is it that 'pre-employment verification' means something else in thier dictonary.God only knows....
No shortfall on their part ? Hail corporate ethics. !!!!!. Twist pe twist... After getting the marching order,he joined the same company again in the next week in a contract role. I dont know who is having the last laugh.Within a week he flew to onsite to serve an esteemed client.

Can contract employees go for onsite...?? aree yaar rules are not to be broken but it can always be bent.See the company submitted fake resume to the client and didnt had the guts to say that its own employee fooled them.What if they lose the contract by revealing an unpleasant truth.Or maybe they didnt get a replacement candiate to send to the site on time.Whatever maybe the reason I find it very difficult to digest the complexities of corporate ethics.The fake resume cost him his job,the same fake resume took him to onsite.Of late I came to know he was getting rave reviews from the client side...Anyway he was carrying an updated copy of his faked resume in his briefcase who knows when opportunity knocks.....!!!

I m neither blaming the company nor my friend.Because I thought these all are exceptions but repeated incidents are shattering my convictions.When exceptions become rules and rules become exceptions,I feel so outdated in this highly updated world.

Disclaimer:The organisation i work for,my parents,my friends,my enemies can have different view points about the same incident.And afterall I can verywell say that the story came to my mind when I was munching peanuts while waiting for my sweetheart in arizona desert.And the story is as true as my previous sentence.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dew Drops said...

i know someone who had faked too. but she kinda managed thru .

11:22 PM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

When exceptions become rules and rules become exceptions,I feel so outdated in this highly updated world.

I'm reminded of an old ammomma's saying..kalikala vaibhavam..:)Hope u know malayalam..:)

11:51 PM  
Blogger pophabhi said...

The so-called 'Ethics' is just for the sake of it. It can be 'tweaked' to work the best way for the selfish interests, be it a person or an organisation. But there are corporates which speak big volumes of ethics, but never practices it. Such is the world. Such is the competition. It will persist.
Nice thought-evoking post!

1:24 AM  
Blogger Movie Mazaa said...

In the mad hurry to get ahead of everyone and everything else, nothing seems to matter anymore. Ethics have gone for a royal walk down the road. Thats the order of the day.

10:44 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

@dew...
mananging thru is okkie..but why r our/her priorities right ?..
@reshmi
I do know malayalam...understood that usage completely...
@abhi
I am finding it very difficult to master the art of 'tweaking'without guilt.
@velu
true...but it makes me more cynical of teh people and situations..

9:44 PM  
Blogger mathew said...

ethics ..jokin eh!!! ;)

5:17 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

@math...
Macho mustache u hav...
n reg..ethics..I was just joking..
But some jokes are pain in the ass.
bcse it moves ur value system to a no return land.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home